Saturday, August 1, 2009

Presidential Physical Fitness Test

This came up in conversation last night at dinner – do you remember this in elementary school? We’d do it once a year and if you got a certain score on the tests you got a certificate saying you were awesome. I didn’t get many of these… All I remember is watching a video with Arnold Schwzeneggar and President H.W. Bush and then struggling to do a pullup while the whole class watched.

So think back with me, remember the Five Tests?

Sit-ups, Push-ups, Running (One Mile), Pull Ups (or flexed arm hang), and…

V-Sit Reach…which I thought was incredibly unfair because guys aren’t flexible…this is the one where you sit down with your legs out in front of you making a “V” and then you stretch and see how far past your heels you can reach. Stupid. Flexed arm hang was a sham as well – the guys had to struggle to do pull-ups and the girls were lifted up to the bar and basically had to hang there, and were timed for how long they could keep their chin above the bar. Stupid.



Let’s take a quick look back on where this program came from…basically kids were starting to get fat. From the media nowawdays, you would think this was a recent trend but they were very concerned about back in 1956 when President Eisenhower created a cabinet level position called the President’s Council on Youth Fitness. Moving forward a bit, JFK would do 50 mile hikes with youth around the country to show he was “walking the walk.” But our beloved Presidential Physical Fitness Award was started by LBJ back in 1966. Some notable chairmen or advisors to the original program were baseball great Stan Musial and Apollo 13 astronaut, Jim Lovell. Fast forward to 1989 when Bush is joined by Arnold Schwarnegger on the White House South Lawn for a series of Great American Workouts.


This is when I come into the picture…at 9 years old, trying to be like Arnold…and if you are like Arnold, the President will sign my certificate. Never got one…but if you were wondering, here is the chart that shows where you have to be to get a certificate…I have to reach 7 inches past my heels??
One note, there is also a program for adults…yes, that’s right, we all still have a chance to earn a certificate signed by President Bush (or Obama), your choice. Seriously, it’s called The President’s Challenge. I won’t bore you with the details BUT the list of activities that count towards this award include: baton twirling, cheerleading, croquet, fishing, marching (???), lawn bowling, Nintendo Wii, darts and my favorite…stretching. You can’t make this stuff up…I am going to do it…Obama, get my certificate ready.

I learned something new today!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you posted about the The Presidential Fitness Test. We are still giving it in PE. FYI, Quinn has made Presidential every year since 1st grade :) -mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember the name of the girl who did SEVENTEEN pull-ups while all of our jaws dropped to the floor. And I wonder if the president came up with counting laps during the mile using milktops? Megan

    ReplyDelete